This page has moved to a new address.

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not: Toby Keith, Thompson Square, Waylon Jennings

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not: Toby Keith, Thompson Square, Waylon Jennings

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not: Toby Keith, Thompson Square, Waylon Jennings

"CRYIN' FOR ME (WAYMAN'S SONG)"     TOBY KEITH

Toby Keith is known for his over the top videos, his patriotic views, and his mega-hits that dominate the country music charts.   But this song has special meaning to him and anyone who's lost someone special.   Wayman Tisdale was one of the best college basketball players ever from Oklahoma (Toby's home state).   In fact, the College Basketball award for the Freshman of the Year is named after Wayman.  Besides his basketball prowess, he was an outstanding jazz bass player who released 8 CDs.   At the age of 44, Wayman lost his leg to cancer and died a year later.   Toby Keith dedicated and wrote this brilliant tribute song to his friend and hero to many.  Who isn't moved by these lyrics?


I got up and dialed your number
And your voice came on the line
That old familiar message
I heard a thousand times it just said
Sorry that I missed you
Leave a message and god bless
I know you think I’m crazy
But I had to hear your voice I guess


"ARE YOU GONNA KISS ME OR NOT"     THOMPSON SQUARE

#1 hit from 2011 by a husband and wife duo which got them nominated for this year's Grammy Awards and earned them CMT Awards for Breakthrough Video of the Year.    Love the lyrics, that point of the date where you're not sure if she's into you, should you take the chance.........


We were sittin' up there on your momma's roof
Talkin' 'bout everything under the moon
With the smell of honeysuckle and your perfume
All I could think about was my next move


Oh, but you were so shy, so was I
Maybe that's why it was so hard to believe
When you smiled and said to me
"Are you gonna kiss me or not?


Are we gonna do this or what?
I think you know I like you a lot
But you're 'bout to miss your shot
Are you gonna kiss me or not?"


"ARE YOU SURE HANK DONE IT THIS WAY"    WAYLON JENNINGS

My dad's love of country music influenced me.   I remember hearing him play 8-tracks of Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, and Merle Haggard growing up.    To me, the outlaw country image of these guys made them seem "cooler" and I liked their rebel style.   Incidentally, Waylon Jennings was scheduled to fly on the plane that killed Buddy Holly, but he bumped from the flight at the last minute.    This tribute song to Hank Williams SR has a lot of attitude and some great guitar picking.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8/25/12, 5:40 AM , Blogger Melly5 said...

OMG I've been looking for "Are you gonna kiss me or not?" for like ever!!! I love these lyrics!!! Crazy bout this song!!^_^

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home