This page has moved to a new address.

Best Movie This Year, new music by The Killers, Eddie Vedder with Tom Petty, Savatage

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: Best Movie This Year, new music by The Killers, Eddie Vedder with Tom Petty, Savatage

Friday, July 27, 2012

Best Movie This Year, new music by The Killers, Eddie Vedder with Tom Petty, Savatage

"ABOUT TODAY (Theme To "Warrior")      THE NATIONAL
Tom Hardy is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.   His last four films are Inception (epic), This Means War (I thought it was fun, a guy's chick flick), Warrior, and Dark Knight Rises (he's Bane).     WARRIOR was actually released in the fall of 2011 but I didn't see it until just recently.   It's got a incredible 8.3 rating on IMDB and 83% on Rotten Tomatoes.   Great scores, but I think they are too low!!!   It's my favorite movie I've seen this year.  Taking a page from Stallone's Rocky movies, an underdog gets a shot at the title.    But that doesn't do the film justice.   Nick Nolte should have won an Oscar for his portrayal of the ex-alcoholic father.   Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Morrison are brilliant as Tommy's brother and sister in law.   But the true star is Tom Hardy and his commitment to the lead character, an ex-Marine who competes in a Winner Take All UFC tournament.  I'm not a big fan of mixed martial arts training but I was mesmerized by the action in the ring.  Scene after scene takes your breath away, from the confrontation between son and long lost father, the brothers meeting the night before the tournament, the brutally realistic fight scenes, the high school students rooting for their teacher.    You'll be enthralled and cheering the whole movie!    100% recommended.   Here's the theme song and a special short version with movie dialogue included.





"RUNAWAYS"      THE KILLERS (UPDATED OFFICIAL VIDEO)
Finally new music by The Killers!   "Runaways" is the lead single from a new CD called Battle Born due out this fall.   Four years since the last CD but they're back with a vengeance.  A true rock anthem with swirling guitar riffs, unrelenting drum beats, Brandon Boyd's scream-it-out chorus, and lyrics that remind me of a lost Springsteen track.   ""We're all just runaways, I knew it when I met you,  I'm not gonna let you runaway, I knew it when I held you I wasn't letting go".  I really liked Entertainment Weekly's description of the song as 'a Jack & Diane story of exuberant young love'.  If the rest of the CD is as powerful as this track, it may rival the sales of "Hot Fuss", The Killers breakthrough masterpiece.  



DAILY MUSIC TRIVIA:  What Dire Straits song did The Killers cover on their Sawdust CD?  

"THE WAITING"    EDDIE VEDDER and TOM PETTY
"Oh baby don't it feel like heaven tonight, don't if feel like something from a dream"  -  Could those lyrics be anymore apropos then on this incredible night.   I'm so jealous for the Amsterdam audience this June 24th.   During Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers show, Eddie Vedder comes out and performs "The Waiting" with the band at the Heineken Music Hall.  There wasn't even a need for a big introduction, Eddie shows up in his traditional flannel shirt, Tom has a drink from his beer, and they jam out to the 80's Petty classic.   After Eddie sings the first bridge, Tom (on lead guitar) changes up the first guitar solo and then joins Eddie on vocals.    The video's quality is really good for a concert bootleg video.

"BELIEVE"    SAVATAGE
Growing up in the Tampa area in the late 80/90's, you had to know Savatage.   I once saw them at ML Chasers, a rock club on US 19 in Clearwater.  Their CD, Gutter Ballet, was an MTV Headbanger's Ball favorite in 1989.   The Oliva brothers actually started their metal band at an Astro Skate in Tarpon Springs, FL not far from where I live!   Savatage's theatrical themes,rock operas, and their refusal to play anything radio-friendly, set a line in the sand, you loved them or hated them.  "Believe" starts off exceedingly slow but give it a minute or two and the intensity of Oliva's voice mixed with the heavy guitar riff is pure metal bliss.   As you know, the uncommercial Savatage ironically became the massively successful, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, who sell out arenas every Christmas season. 
 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/27/12, 3:17 AM , Blogger Melly5 said...

The answer to the music trivia is Romeo and Juliet. :) Did I ever tell you that I got to see Mark Knopfler who was the lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for Dire Straits? OMG Mike! He gave a hell of a performance!! It was at the Ruth Eckerd Hall in 2008. Unforgettable show! :)

 
At 7/27/12, 4:01 AM , Blogger Melly5 said...

Hey Mike, I can't wait to watch this movie! It looks like it's gonna be great. Finally The Killers have new music!!! I loved it!! My favorite was "The Waiting". Imagine seeing that live?!?! Tom Petty and Eddie Vedder! I probably would have stroked out! lmao!! Tom Petty is the shizzzz! My favorite song is "Breakdown". Maybe one day I'll see it on your blog... :D :D :D The Savatage song was pretty cool. I've heard some of their songs but never this one so right on!!! Thanks Mike!! :)))))

 
At 7/27/12, 10:31 AM , Blogger Mike Pease said...

I'm jealous, Mark Knopfler's guitar solos are breathtaking. I bet seeing him at such a great venue as Ruth Eckerd was incredible. Yes, you win! Romeo & Juliet was the cover. You will love Warrior, great family drama, the fighting isn't the biggest part of the movie. Yes, the Savatage song gets intense halfway through.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home