This page has moved to a new address.

Do You Remember Your First? Jackson 5, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, Kid Rock

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: Do You Remember Your First? Jackson 5, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, Kid Rock

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Do You Remember Your First? Jackson 5, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, Kid Rock

"I'LL BE THERE" & "ONE MORE CHANCE"     JACKSON 5
My First 45 Record:  I can still remember my blue Motown 45 singles and also the cardboard Jackson Five records I cut out of Sugar Smack Cereal boxes, anyone else remember those?   After three faster songs, ABC, The Love You Save, and my favorite, I Want You Back, the Jackson 5 put out their first ballad.   I wore those records out and could probably still lipsync every bit of Michael's lead or Jermaine's harmony parts.   The lesser known B-side, "One More Chance" was another favorite.   Always loved that line, " Everybody loves a star when he's on top, but no one ever comes around when he stops to drop.  But YOU were someone special, you stuck through thick and thin."  



"SOMEONE SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT"
My First Cassette:  My dad showed me an insert for the Columbia House Record mail in service where you could get something like 10 free cassettes if you agreed to buy 3 more.   Needless to say, I was addicted quickly!  Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy, Cassette #1.  Elton John's music really moved me.  I can remember playing this song on an actual jukebox at a favorite pizza place in Milwaukee.  Thought I was a young 10 yr old rebel singing that line, "it's 4:00 in the morning, DAMMIT listen to me good!"   Hearing the Jackson 5 and early Elton really takes me back in time.



"IN YOUR EYES"       PETER GABRIEL 
My First CD:  I had so many cassettes and albums that I didn't want to start over and switch to CD's.   But when you saw how easy it was to move from song to song and hearing the incredible sound quality and nuances on a friend's copy of Dire Straits, "Brothers In Arms", I knew I wanted the new gadget!   Peter Gabriel's CD "So" was my first compact disc.   Loved the MTV Video Of The Year, Sledgehammer, with its claymation, the duet, "Don't Give Up" with Sinead O'Connor, and Daniel Lanois' beautiful production on "Red Rain" and "Mercy Street".   Of course, anyone who seen the John Cusack film, Say Anything, knows that In Your Eyes with the boombox over head will live forever in our hearts!   I've been told I'm a lot like Lloyd Dobbler, I've always taken that as a compliment.



"BAWITDABA"   KID ROCK
My First MP3:  First year teaching, one of my students told me about Napster.  "Wait, you can download any song for free?   Anything?"   Yep!   Must have spent that whole first weekend filling up my hard drive.   Of course, Lars Ulrich wasn't too happy with this and within two years, Napster's short run was over.   It was summer 1999 and Kid Rock was the latest rage.   Metal guitars, hardcore raps, and a rebellious attitude, "My Name is .....Kiddddddd Rock!", "Bawithaba" was my summer jam!   Fun fact:  Kid Rock is still holding out on putting his music on ITunes and this song is the only one available from Kid Rock since it was released.



Today's my birthday so I took a trip down memory lane, love to hear what some of your first music loves were?  This song was dedicated to me today :)



DAILY MUSIC TRIVIA ANSWER: Yesterday:   The Cosby Show 


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/25/12, 12:56 AM , Blogger Melly5 said...

Happy Birthday Mike!! What an absolutely marvelous blog!! I shared this one with Ally and she was so happy with the Jackson 5 songs. I've played many Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson songs for her and she certainly digs it.lol... "Someone saved my life tonight" and "In your eyes" were some of my favorites. By the way, you do remind me of Lloyd Dobbler too. Here's a quote by Lloyd Dobbler " She's gone. She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen." I loved that movie!!! Kid Rock is the shizzzz!! and I shed some happy tears with the birthday video. You deserve the best birthday ever my dear friend!!!

 
At 7/25/12, 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday MP from you know who:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home