This page has moved to a new address.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Best CD of 1991: Sevendust with Chris Daughtry, Psychedelic Furs, Rod Stewart, Red Hot Chili Peppers

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Best CD of 1991: Sevendust with Chris Daughtry, Psychedelic Furs, Rod Stewart, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Best CD of 1991: Sevendust with Chris Daughtry, Psychedelic Furs, Rod Stewart, Red Hot Chili Peppers

THANK YOU!!!  We just passed 75,000 total hits since December.

DAILY MUSIC TRIVIA QUESTION:  What is Flea's real name?  Yesterday's Answer:   Lovesexy had nine songs but they played continuously as 1 track.

"SUCK MY KISS"    RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
I've seen the band three times in concert with three different people.  I'm so pumped to see them every tour.  I've gone on and on about how amazing they are live but each friend I've brought along only seemed mildly interested.  They knew a few of their radio hits but basically just supported me and came.  What a treat they were in for!!  A RHCP concert is an experience of funk, rock, ska, and jazz that leaves everyone in awe!  All three of my friends became BIG fans after seeing them live.   The Chili Peppers inject so much positive energy, rock so hard,  and the musicianship of each group member creates an electric chemistry.   You get lost in the cosmic guitar solos and your mind drifts off to a happy place. "Suck My Kiss" was a staple of their live shows since '91 but was taken off their set list for years.  Lucky for me, they added it back to the setlist for the Tampa show this year!!   Produced by Rick Rubin, "Suck My Kiss" is one of their best songs to let everyone shine, Flea's bass groove, Anthony's rap, Chad's tearing the cover off the drums, and John (in the video) gets that dramatic guitar solo around the 2:30 mark.
 
"THE PAST"    SEVENDUST with CHRIS DAUGHTRY
Sevendust, led by Lajon Whitherspoon, began as a hard rock band with heavy guitars and a thrash metal drum style.   Their sound hasn't gotten softer over the years but they've been more experimental.  On their seventh CD, Chapter VII:  Hope & Sorrow, they added guest appearances from Mark Tremonti (Creed), Myles Kennedy (vocalist for Slash's solo project), and surprisingly, Chris Daughtry.   "The Past" was the second single and was very radio accessible.  Lajon and Chris' voices blend so well together. "I'm up, I'm down, like a rollercoaster racing through my life, I've erased the past again."






"IF LOVING YOU IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT"  (Demo Version)    ROD STEWART and THE FACES
Long before Rod Stewart tackled singing the standards of our grandparents, before the 80-90's top 40 hits, even before the Rod Stewart "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" era, came Rod Stewart, ROCK STAR!   Rod was the lead singer for The Faces who also included Ronnie Lane on bass, drummer Kenny Jones (later replaced Keith Moon in The WHO), and Ron Wood (left the band to join a little unknown band called the Rolling Stones).  They were a blues based rock band who are credited as a major influence by bands like Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam, and The Black Crowes.  Here's a demo version of the Luther Ingram R&B classic from the 60's.


"HEAVEN"   PSYCHEDELIC FURS
The Psychedelic Furs were part of the English invasion of New Wave bands of the early 80's.   Known best for the title song of Molly Ringwald's movie, "Pretty In Pink", seeing Richard Butler singing "Heaven" is the rain in this video is my favorite memory of this underrated 80's band.   They've reunited and recently played at a small venue in Clearwater, FL earlier this year. 
       

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/12/12, 11:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am genuinely thankful to the holder of this web page who
has shared this enormous paragraph at at this time.
Feel free to surf my site ... http://www.sclerodermasymptoms.net

 
At 7/13/12, 8:23 AM , Blogger Melly5 said...

awwww my favorite was Psychedelic Furs "Heaven". That brought back some good memories! All of these songs are outstanding and 1991 was a great year!! ;)

 
At 7/13/12, 11:17 AM , Blogger Mike Pease said...

My favorite is the Chili Peppers here but I guessed you'd like Heaven the best, they remind me of the Cure, one of your favorites.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home