This page has moved to a new address.

My Favorite Jewish Reggae Rapper: Sugarland, Matisyahu, and Gino Vannelli

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: My Favorite Jewish Reggae Rapper: Sugarland, Matisyahu, and Gino Vannelli

Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Favorite Jewish Reggae Rapper: Sugarland, Matisyahu, and Gino Vannelli

"SOMETHING MORE"   SUGARLAND
Jennifer Nettles joined Sugarland in 2004 and their first CD together had three top singles, "Baby Girl", "Just Might Make Me Believe" and this video.   I was lucky enough to catch them on their first big tour headlining for Brooks & Dunn.  From the opening songs, you can tell Jennifer had such a contagious smile, effervescent personality, and a stage presence that something special would be coming from this group.   They've since won countless awards, more #1 hits, and collaborations.  It all started with this song!

"ONE DAY"     MATISYAHU
If I had to list all of my favorite Jewish rabbi reggae artists, Matisyahu would top my list :)   It's an incredible experience to first hear his fusion of rap, reggae, hip hop, with some Hebrew and Yiddish words tossed in at times.    "One Day" has an inspiring message, a prayer for peace and an end of senseless violence.

"I JUST WANNA STOP"   GINO VANNELLI
A timeless and romantic song from the 70's that is a guilty pleasure memory for so many.    Gino has a great Italian name but he's actually Canadian and hit #1 with this classic.   He is also credited with being the 2nd Caucasian to be a lead performer on Soul Train in 1975.  Gino's other big hit was "Living Inside Myself" but this my favorite.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home