This page has moved to a new address.

People Think I'm Crazy: Rolling Stones, Luther Vandross, and Flogging Molly

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: People Think I'm Crazy: Rolling Stones, Luther Vandross, and Flogging Molly

Sunday, March 18, 2012

People Think I'm Crazy: Rolling Stones, Luther Vandross, and Flogging Molly

"MISS YOU"    ROLLING STONES
My favorite Stones CD, Some Girls, was their celebration of New York City.   "Some Girls" crossed genres, new guitarist Ronnie Wood adds his famous slide guitar, and the Stones were experimenting with disco, country, punk, and the NYC vibe in general.  "Miss You" has those classic verses and Mick's signature delivery of lyrics like "I've been walking Central Park, singing after dark, people think I'm crazy".   "What's the matter with you, boy".   This song got the dreaded 'disco' label but it's just as much of a moody blues number and maintains the Stones rebellious attitude complete with a great sax solo by Mel Collins .    

"DANCE WITH MY FATHER"   LUTHER VANDROSS
Even if you had the worst dad in the world, Luther's song must remind you of someone special that you've lost and you wish you could have one more chance to be together.   The video is one of the best ever.   You feel like you're at a family reunion watching scenes of Beyonce, Brandy, Babyface, Stevie Wonder, and Damon Wayans (funniest part of the video!!!) with their dad or kids.  In addition, watching this video makes me miss the brilliant voice of Luther Vandross (died in 2005), another icon lost way too soon.  Fun Fact:  This song was co-written by Richard Marx

"IF I EVER LEAVE THIS WORLD ALIVE"     FLOGGING MOLLY
First heard this beautiful Irish love song during the Gerard Butler film, P.S. I Love You with Hillary Swank.    Flogging Molly are considered a Celtic Punk band yet they're from California and loved the Irish bar band sound so they went in that musical direction.   Their music is a combination of the Pogues and the Clash.   I'll never forget seeing the Hall of Fame Wall in Dublin, one thing off my bucket list!   
   

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3/20/12, 1:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite rolling stone song!! Miss you! And Flogging Molly rocks! Awesome picks Mike!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home