This page has moved to a new address.

Whitney Houston: August 9, 1963 – February 11, 2012, a video tribute

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: Whitney Houston: August 9, 1963 – February 11, 2012, a video tribute

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney Houston: August 9, 1963 – February 11, 2012, a video tribute

One of the greatest vocalists of my generation, Whitney Houston died at the age of 48.     I first heard Whitney on the Teddy Pendergrass duet, "Hold Me".  Seen her on her first tour when she opened for Luther Vandross.  Then saw her again in Tampa prior to her electric, greatest-ever(?) version of the Star Spangled Banner for Super Bowl XXV.   A true R&B superstar, let's hope she's remembered for her amazing gospel-tinged vocals, her string of #1 hits, and her influence on today's biggest female singers.

  
Here are 5 "lesser known" but classic Whitney videos.    R.I.P. 



2009:    "I Look To You"

2002:   "UNASHAMED"



1990:   "MIRACLE"





1986:  "IF YOU SAY MY EYES ARE BEAUTIFUL"  with Jermaine Jackson



1985:  "SAVING ALL MY LOVE FOR YOU" (1st time on Letterman)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/12/12, 10:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for posting those beautiful videos of Whitney. "Unashamed" pretty much describes how I feel. "If you say my eyes are beautiful" is one of my favorite songs. :) It amazes me how many people are assuming that she died of an OD and are happy that she died, well shame on them. :( However, if she did then it is devastating that her immediate family couldn't intervene and get her help. Regardless I am thankful to have so many happy memories of Whitney Houston's music.

 
At 2/12/12, 11:04 AM , Blogger Mike Pease said...

I couldn't agree more! Unashamed's lyrics fit perfectly with my thoughts on Whitney. If you say my eyes are beautiful is such an underrated song. Her death should be a huge wake up reminder to everyone. Sad to lose one of the best.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home