This page has moved to a new address.

Wonderful Tonight, Blues Cover: Blaque, Meredith McHenry, Young Rebel Set, Otis Clay

MIKE'S DAILY JUKEBOX: Wonderful Tonight, Blues Cover: Blaque, Meredith McHenry, Young Rebel Set, Otis Clay

Friday, January 27, 2012

Wonderful Tonight, Blues Cover: Blaque, Meredith McHenry, Young Rebel Set, Otis Clay

"IF I WAS"             YOUNG REBEL SET

One of the YouTube comments read "I'm going to marry the guy who sings this to me!"   Listening to Young Rebel Set, you feel their sincerity and heartfelt passion.   Their Irish accents, jangly guitars, and the unmistakeable indie sound is contagious.  This song demonstrates that simple lyrics can make bold statements.  I'm hoping Young Rebel Set get the exposure they deserve.



"SHE AIN'T GOT THE BOOM LIKE I DO"  (Remix)   BLAQUE

Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes' voice is prominent in the chorus of this 90's club banger.    Blaque was a TLC clone in attitude, production, and lyrics but that makes sense since Lisa produced the band.   A cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" and "808" gave Blaque chart success.   But the cryptic poetry of the chorus  "She ain't the boom like I do, she can't move the room like I do, she ain't got the junk in the trunk or the bump that you want" probably left the biggest impression on hip hop fans of the era.  



"WONDERFUL TONIGHT"           OTIS CLAY

"We go to a party and everyone turns to see this beautiful lady that's walking around with me.  And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."



Eric Clapton's love song masterpiece has been a staple of Classic Rock radio and I'm sure been the inspiration of many weddings and romantic nights.  Otis Clay chose this song for an Eric Clapton blues tribute record.   Otis has been recording blues records since the 60's, while never reaching commercial success, he's a well-respected R&B crooner who brings a gospel-tinged voice to many of his songs.   This cover is incredible and adds a new wrinkle to a timeless love song.


"MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA"     MEREDITH McHENRY

Amazing!   Who is she?   How is she not signed by a major label?   These were the thoughts going on in my head when I first discovered Meredith McHenry on the cheesy ABC show Karaoke Battle in 2011.    A powerhouse vocalist on par with Adele first tackled James Brown's  classic "It's A Man's World" (search for it on YouTube!) and Meredith followed it with this dynamic version of Gladys Knight's mega-hit (love when she "borrows" his hat).  Meredith's vocal range is stunning, oozes sex appeal with a playful personality.  I rarely do this but after Meredith was surprisingly eliminated in the Semi-Finals, I didn't even bother to watch the finals.   She should have won the show but more importantly she deserves a Major recording contract and promotion.   Definitely superstar potential.   


Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1/30/12, 2:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meredith McHenry has such a powerful voice. What in the world were those judges thinking????

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home